Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Traveling the Texas Barbeque Trail Pt. 5

Black’s BBQ, Lockhart.


Black’s sits on the other side of the town center, just a few short minutes walk from Smitty’s. Although close in proximity, these two BBQ are much different in experience.

A long cafeteria style counter greeted us as we walked through the door. We picked up a tray, walked past the salad bar along the counter, and headed straight to the meats. There is no reason to touch anything at the salad bar at a place famous for its BBQ. Everything is done in one place; no smoke house, no separate counter to get the pickles and cheese, no separate line to pay for the meal.

Black’s offers beef ribs that the previous several places which we visited did not. These ribs did not disappoint us. The meat was tender as butter. It was full of beef flavors, well seasoned and was extremely satisfying.

The brisket was tender and very nice as well but I didn’t think it was as stand out as some of the others I have had during this trip. The same could be said about the ribs. There was nothing wrong with them but they weren’t wowing me. Plus, the meat was a bit on the firm side which didn’t make it easy to fall of the bone.

The sausage consisted of the more coarse textured meat and was quite good. It was very similar to those I has tasted in Luling and it was very juicy. I found that the skin was a bit tough for my taste. I like sausage casing that snaps open easily with a good bite.

Unlike Smitty’s, Black’s has a sauce which tastes on the sweeter, molasses side with plenty of evidence of tomato and a slight spicy kick. I also liked the cole slaw and the jalapeno cornbread a lot. The cole slaw was nicely balanced with the vegetables carrying a nice crispy. The small flicks of jalapeno in the cornbread brought a small spicy stimulus amidst the sweet sugary bread that gave a different departure yet complimenting taste to the BBQ flavor.

Given the time and geographic constraints, I was only able to taste a few of the many places that made Texas BBQ famous.


The Silverado Smoke House in Corpus Christi was a surprise find. I was expecting a somewhat monotonous mass-market experience based on my several restaurant meals in this mecca of chain-food. I walked away impressed and satisfied (May be the self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine had bribed my opinion?). However, the king of the Texas BBQ was no doubt in the Hill Country. Those were some of the most unique experiences I ever have. Each place that I visited was unique in its own way and had outstanding items that were matchless.

Of the three that I have visited in the Hill Country, City Market, Smitty’s, and Black’s; all are located in small towns that look deserted with non-descript store fronts that anybody could walk by without knowing what’s inside; except Black’s which has large sign to direct tourists to it’s place. If I have to choose, I would have to pick the City Market and Smitty’s over the other. In terms of the quality of the BBQ, the authenticity of the experience, these are the big boys!

(I would really like to forget my whole experience at The County Line!)


Smitty's in Lockhart

No comments:

Post a Comment