Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The BRGR Joint

“It’s been here for months, where have you been?” The Tourist Tree said to me as I noticed this place for the first time while we drove by it during our regular Saturday morning errand run. I must have blinked every time I passed this place, situated along Lancaster Avenue sandwiched tightly between a pizza place and a mattress store.

We were greeted by a giant wall mural of tattoo art as we walked through the front door. The mural is a reflection of the owners’ favorite things, hamburger, tattoo, and pirates.


We ordered our meal at the counter at the back of the store then took a table by the front window while it was being cooked.






I was delighted to see a Purell dispenser mounted on the wall by the front door. I am a true believer of cleaning my hands before touching my food.


Although being in a college town, the owners’ do not believe I in skimping on the quality of the ingredients. All the patties, including the turkey and the bean patties, are fresh and not of the frozen variety.





I had the bacon cheese burger with jalapeño, grilled onions, and an egg on top. The burger was not particular big, nor the patty particularly thick. The meat was tasty and moist to a degree despite the fact that it was cooked all the way through. I enjoy a burger topped with an egg with the yoke running down the meat when I bite into it. Unfortunately, the egg on this burger was cooked all the way as well. Despite a few short comings, this $5.99 (extra 99cents for the egg) burger was delicious. It reminded me a lot of a slightly upscaled version of an In-N-Out burger.

 
The chili cheese fries are supersized decadence in a tin bowl. The fries were hand cut and double fried, and topped with cheese and chili. Unfortunately, I couldn’t tell if the fries were crispy since they were covered with the chili and cheese, but I loved the chili. It was not spicy hot but instead had a very flavorful taste with a slight sweetness. The consistency was not grainy which had made this an ideal as a topping. At one point of the meal, I decided to put some chili on the burger and it transformed the burger into a totally different dimension.
 
Like the potato fries, the sweet potato fries were hand cut and double fried. They were of the right size and shape and were crisp, however they did not wow us. We found that they did not have that deeper flavor that sweet potato fries should have. They were just kind of bland.


Besides burgers, BRGR also serves salads, hot dogs, grilled cheese BLT and the not so real burgers of the turkey and vegetarian varieties. And for the frat brothers looking to break in a freshman plebe, get the OMG BRGR which can stack up to 11 patties.

With its late hours ‘til 3:00AM on the weekends, the BRGR Joint is a small oasis that also provides some relief to the late night hungry crowd in the culinary desert of the Main Line. Its burger is decent and will satisfy any hungry soul that walks through the door. However, the item that had me is the totally unhealthy, unnecessary chili cheese fries. I don’t think the chili would be that outrageous in a bowl on its own (it’s on the menu as a separate item) but it was just great in that chili cheese fries or on my burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment