Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Pumpkin Éclair

I have a habit to stop by the Bryn Mawr Farmer’s Market on Saturday after my morning workout for a scone from the Wild Flour Bakery stand as a post-workout snack.

On this particular Saturday, they didn’t bring any scone to sell but lots of bread, pumpkin pies, etc. Amid my disappointment, I saw out of the corner of my eye the biggest éclair I have ever seen in my life. “Is that an éclair?” I asked. “Yes, it is…with a pumpkin cream filling,” came the reply.

Let’s put things in perspective. That’s the éclair on a 6 inch plate in the picture. That’s a quarter next to the plate. The éclair is like one normal size éclair sitting on top of 2 others lying side by side on the bottom like perky cheerleaders forming a pyramid cheer to get your attention.

The pastry was airy yet retained the right amount of elasticity and moisture. The pumpkin crème filling carried a slight hint of spice, was not over-sweetened, and had the consistency of a smooth semi-liquidly pie filling. Eating this éclair was like eating a pumpkin pie that was melting in the mouth! Except for the creamy cheesy (never figured out what it actually was) thing on top that I didn’t care for too much, this creation was over the top outrageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment